Skip to main content

Òrenté



It was my first night sleeping at Bae's and I was totally uncomfortable but I couldn't complain. 
I figured that it was only natural that people didn't sleep well outside their homes. 
So I thought it would get better. 
Bae's crib wasn't awesome. He didn't have a flat screen, no air conditioning, no space... 
His one room apartment could not take much, but I was his Orente, so I looked beyond 'material' things.

It was 2:18 am and I couldn't sleep. 
I had swollen bite marks all over my body. I think I counted over 50 out of frustration. 
I sat up positioned to 'clap dead' the invisible mosquitoes that were trying to kill me in my sleep, but they were too clever for me.
I couldn't fathom sleeping back so I stayed up till dawn. 

By the fifth day at Bae's, I was at wit's end..
I had began sleeping at work. 
It was obvious that I was uncoordinated because I dragged around doing my corporate duties. 
I stayed past closing hours, wishing there was a bed somewhere at work, but of course, there wasn't so I had to go back to Bae's. 
I had agreed to stay a week at Bae's, after a lot of pleading. 
I wasn't the kinda girl that fell back on her word, so I was going to keep my end of the bargain... although the mosquitoes were not included in our deal. 

On the night before I was meant to go home, I was up positioned for the mosquitoes as usual when I noticed a crawling insect perched on my thigh. 
I had never seen it before. I immediately killed it and woke Bae up to ask what it was. 
Bae said it was a bedbug. 
You should have seen my face when he said "bedbug". 
"Are you joking?"
He laughed, "it's nothing Honey. People have it around here."
That threw me off balance. 

I'd never seen a bedbug in my life but I had heard stories about it. 
I was once told that bedbugs were a sign of abject poverty and here was this man telling me that it was nothing. 
I picked up my phone and googled 'bedbug'. 
I learnt about its rotten 'strawberrie' smell, life cycle and all of that Wikipedia mumbojumbo. 
I was totally disgusted. 
I got up and began dusting all of my clothes, carefully packing them in my little box as soon as I was sure they were bedbug free. 
I didn't wait for breakfast or wait to shower. 
I patiently waited till it was 7:30 am that Saturday morning before I took a cab home. 

This Orente life was not for me. 

Comments

  1. This Orente life is for fairytales, no one's gat time for that * just saying *

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frescoed Stories

Ok. I accept. I'm a liar. But really, that isn't the approriate and befitting description for me. I don't lie...Well,I just leave out a lot of "unnecesary" details. You could call it whatever you wanna, but I insist it's an essential trait of a realist (just to say sharp gurl/guy, I went to school noni :p ). Hey! You have had 6 "bedmates" and you are confusd about the current one (Mr. Right Now No.7)... You need advice,so your girlfriend(s) is the first link to clear thinking. In the course of explaining your predicament, it dawns on you that your girlfriend has made out with just 3 guys and has had sex with 1 (Jeez- Life must be a Bitch, Eh?)... You can't talk about this issue without relating it to your other escapades...therefore, a dilemma presents itself. Since you can't stop the story abruptly,you'ld have to: 1. Tell the truth, recounting your 'many' stories. You'ld watch the shock rise from her upper face to t

The Bedroom Comedy

You know when you have to wait months to hit that thing and then you fuck up. As in eh, when you mess up seriously! Yeah, that *I wanna die feeling* happened to me o. Choi! Met this girl, can’t even remember how we met. She was sha on ma bbm. Correct babe, boobies to die for, light skinned hottie, better yansh *wipes sweat* And yes she was in lust with me. Sexy slim toh bad, the ladies are (ok were) tripping. Back to the story. The girl wanted the D, so p-setting was really easy. I didn’t have to convince her unendingly. She wasn’t in Lagos at that time. She was somewhere in Delta/Edo. And then you know, the sexual frustration grew cos we didn’t see. We exchanged messages, how much we wanted to bang each other ...that kinda thing. She had the dirtiest mouth, I literarily moved around with a hard-on. I made mouth mayne. DAMN!!! Telling her I would do that, how I would keep hitting it for 25minutes non-stop. The multiple orgasm I would give her, oh la la.  She wanted me

Trade by Barter

It started out as a conversation. I and my friend were discontented about our financial status. I talked about how pleasant it would be if I had ‘sufficient’ and steady income. She talked about how she could not bring herself to ask men for money. We talked about the Aristo Chics we knew that summed up enough courage to collect humongous amounts from their customers. God was listening to our conversation. He had to make a comedy out of it, so he provided me what Unilag girls would call ‘opportunity’. Later that day, I was buying yoghurt around Honours when a white jeep honked at me. I walked up to the car and saw that an old man (most likely older than my father) was the driver and only occupant of the vehicle. “Good afternoon Sir”. “Good afternoon my dear. Do you stay in this hostel?” “No Sir.” “Where do you stay?” “Moremi Sir.” I lied, “Is there any problem Sir?” “No my dear. I would just like to know you better. I want you to be my friend” I could not help but laug